Sunday, September 18, 2011

Burlap Wreath DIY

I am obsessed with everything burlap! Seriously, you should see my house at Christmas time! I use burlap for everything from putting it on my Christmas tree as garland, to using it on my mantel and even wrapping gifts! It adds so much texture and detail to anything you want to create. There are many tutorials out there for making your own burlap garland wreath, so there is not right or wrong way to do it. I believe my way is one of the simplest you can do though. I started with a wire coat hanger. Yes, those ugly wire hangers that we all have tons of but refuse to use them even if they are the only coat hangers left...those wire hangers... All you need to do it take apart the hanger and re-bend it into a circle. It does not have to be perfect because the garland is very forgiving. I had my burlap garland left over from last year, but I purchased it at Michaels for about $6 per roll. You get a lot of garland for your money also. I used 4 rolls for my wreath. The amount you use depends on the size of the wreath you want. After shaping the hanger into a circle, start by weaving the garland in and out, sort of in a fan shape (like how you make a fan out of a piece of paper that you fold back and forth, if this makes any sense). Keep doing this until you cover the entire hanger with garland. Twist the two ends of the wire hanger together (i used pliers for this part) so that the garland does not come off. Tie a small piece of garland, or ribbon to the top of the wreath and hang! Voila! This wreath took me about 3 minutes to make and cost about $10 (Michaels coupons included).

My burlap garland wreath on my front door

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting this tutorial up!! :) I LOVE your new blog and can't wait to see what other things you post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'm obsessed with burlap, too!

    ReplyDelete